Monday 15 December 2014

Visitor From Beyond The Veil

Dear Olive became sick and had to take to her bed.  I organized the little children in their play and in their help.  Arlene and even little Donna did so much to help. Sick as I was, I managed to clean up the house, mix bread and nurse our little sick Charlotte.  On a particular afternoon, while the babies were sleeping, I went to my bedroom for a much needed rest, leaving dependable little Arlene in charge.  I was soon in a deep and profound sleep in spite of my hard coughing.  Of a sudden, a woman’s familiar voice called me, “Rhea!  Rhea!” twice.

Instantly I knew I had heard that voice before, - long, long before.  But there was no time to speculate.  Something was wrong.  I knew by the urgency of the tone.  I checked the babies, fixed little Roger’s bottle, and Arlene took over with him.  Poor, thin little Charlotte was still sleeping.  I went and once to Olive’s bedroom and found her moaning and tossing.  I took hold of her and called her by name.  She was in a delirium of pain.  Her face was flushed, and she only tossed and moaned.  I fell upon my knees and appealed “Oh!  God, what shall I do for her?  Help her!  Spare her life!”

Immediately I was shown what to do, but with her tossing and moaning it was impossible to do the simple, natural things I needed to do.

I went to the other room, called Arlene, Donna and Myra, told them of Olive’s condition, and said, “Come, we must pray for Auntie.”

There in the kitchen, adjoining Olive’s room, we fell on our knees and Oh! how anxiously we did pray!  I had remembered Uncle Dan Bateman’s story of how he prayed in an exigency for help “seen or unseen,” and I prayed in substance, “Oh, Father, Olive cannot live and go on this way, - or she may lose her baby.  Oh!  Father send someone holding thy Priesthood, seen or unseen.  Remember her faithfulness, remember her sweetness, and her great sacrifices in order to live this holy law.”

I arose, checked the two babies and their needs, looked after the fire and the baking bread and peered outside.  Still our husband had not returned. - He had been gone since morning and it was now late afternoon.

I went quickly to Olive, and taking the holy oil, as prompted, anointed her head.  Placing my hands on her head as she still moaned and tossed, I plead with the Lord for her.  The tears flowed down my cheeks freely.  Only God knew how I loved her.

I returned to the kitchen and took the puffy white buns out of the oven, attended the children, and listened for the to sound of a car in the yard. - As surely as I knew there is a God, I knew He would send help, seen or unseen.  My activities occupied ten minutes or more.

Upon re-entering Olive’s room, my first observation was that she was quiet and has ceased moaning.  I went to her.  Her face was its natural color.  Her eyes were closed, and she was breathing evenly.  I spoke and touched her, “Oh!  Olive dear, you are better.”

She just turned and looked at me. “Oh! Rhea, I have just seen a beautiful angel, Oh! such a beautiful angel!”  

“How wonderful!”  I almost whispered.  “But you were sick, very, very sick, - and I – we – prayed for help. … And you are all right now.”

“Yes, I’m all right.”  She turned still more toward me, and holding my hands, continued, “O, Rhea, that angel was so beautiful and white – and such peace. – When my time comes to die, I hope that angel comes for me.”  She looked at her own hands and arms.  “So dark, so dark, everything here is so dark.”  - Her lovely, fair skin, so dark?  I half laughed, and we cried together – for joy.

“But tell me, dear, tell me all about it.  The children are all right.  Arlene is tending them.”

I arranged her pillow under her head and straightened her covers.  Then she began.  – We go back in the narration just one paragraph as it is related in her journal, giving more details:

I was conscious when Rhea returned again.  I was free from all pain or distress!  I had had a most glorious visitation or vision!  I was given strength to relate the following to her:

I thought I was in the most beautiful meadow dotted with thousands of gorgeous flowers, shrubbery and crystal streams.  I could not begin to describe it accurately, so beautiful was the place!  I was very ill and called on the Lord for help.  I received no answer.  In anguish I called again but to no avail.  My supplications seemed unheard.  A third time I cried to God.  I told Him I’d gladly die if He wished, but if I were to live, He must come to my aid, for I could bear it no longer.

I found that I was lying on a snow white bed.  The walls and ceiling of my room had faded away.  A pure, radiant, white light shone all about and upon me, glorious beyond description.  A heavenly, snow-white angel with long wavy hair, shoulder length, and with dark brown eyes, descended to my bed.  I think he was about five foot seven inches tall.  He had brought something with him, yet I didn’t know what it was.  I only knew I was given strength by the spirit he brought, or new life which seemed to emanate from him, and all the world seemed changed. … (We concluded it was a man since his face appeared masculine and Rhea had prayed for someone to be sent who held the Priesthood.)  [His being] shown with a radiance and glory that could not be described!  His face was smooth and sweet as though he’d never known a sorrow or a pain.  I thought he had come to take me to the other side, beyond the shadows of death.  I looked at my hands and arms.  They appeared so dark compared to the heavenly beings before me.  To be like him would be more wonderful than anything I could imagine!  He wore no ornaments or jewelry.  He needed none.  His dazzling glory and the white flowing robe covering his personage were his adornments.

He only stayed a few seconds and then ascended upward until he went from view.  As he went from my view, far above me, I saw spirals of beautiful, pure white buildings, which I believed to be heavenly mansions.

As soon as this marvelous vision was closed, a shadow seemed to cover the whole world.  The very atmosphere was different, and the walls and ceiling of my room had again taken their proper places in my sight.  I wept in disappointment.  How dreary and dark our world was compared to the pure, white, lightness of what I had just beheld!  Now, I knew I was to remain on earth longer, though I had no fear of death, but looked forward to the time when I shall complete my mission here.  Now, I felt we would all rejoice, instead of grieve at the passing of a loved one if we only knew the brightness of the other side.
(J of OAKN, pp.58-59)

Voices Of Women, Volume 2, Rhea Kunz, pgs. 169 - 172.  

This post is part of a series of posts on Women in the Priesthood.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment