Saturday 20 December 2014

Brucellosis, Faithful, and Faith

As time went on, Rhea had a purebred Jersey cow that contracted Brucellosis. The family, however, was unaware of the presence of the disease and continued to use the milk. At this time John, the same who had been cured of blindness as a small boy, was 14 and became seriously ill from the disease. It is a horrible disease that causes severe pain to the slightest touch. The doctors reported that John’s heart had been severely affected, and that this is often fatal.

Rhea turned to the Lord. Calling all her older children about her and explaining the situation, together they united in prayer. Then came the time to tell John, who responded adamantly about not going to the hospital, and instead desired healing from the Lord. The family fasted and prayed. For weeks they fasted in varying degrees, the older ones fasting more in abstinence, and Rhea resolved to touch nothing but water until she had an answer for her son who was in such agony that he could not move or be moved without screaming in pain.

Then finally an answer came:


About mid-morning, the Spirit of the Lord gave understanding and wisdom to my mind and I knew that there was a reason that my son had fallen prey to this sickness which was brought about by the powers of evil. I knew that the Lord was not pleased with him and one of the other children because of their indifference to instruction in the gospel when I had frequently called my family together to teach them the words of truth and life. Their restlessness and desire to be off playing somewhere, when they should have participated in spirit and mind, was displeasing to the Lord. I knew that I must tell both sons these things and that the Lord was now ready to forgive and heal John if he would covenant to study the gospel seriously and cease his indifference and wanderlust of mind.

Rhea went and told her son the things which had been made known to her. John wept and confessed. His heart was broken and his spirit contrite. The boy who lay there suffering had indeed turned his heart to the Lord. …

I, a weak mortal, put my hands upon his head, but the power of a great Being was actuated in and through me. I felt the power go out through me hands as I blessed John and rebuked the demons of evil and the sickness, commanding them to depart. I told John again, as I had several years prior when he was small and suffering from his eye injury and infection, that from that moment God would begin to heal his body.

At that instant, the Spirit told me to open my eyes and look at John. I did, and I testify before God and angels that I saw the sickly, saffron color of his face and neck change to a rosy hue as the glow of healthy, life-ghiving blood came back into his skin. It was one of the most wonderful sights that I ever beheld. From that moment, I experienced inexpressible joy and gratitude mingled with the mighty power of God.

With my hands still upon John’s tousled light brown head, I told him, “The Lord has forgiven you. You will be restored to complete and vigorous health. From this moment on, you will experience the change.”

After I had finished, John looked gratefully into my eyes and said with the joy of realization, “Mama! I feel lots better!”

“Yes, dear, give the Lord all the credit. He did it. … Now, let me help you fulfill your part of the covenant. What would you like to study or talk about?”

“I wish you would read to me from the Book of Mormon.”


And the story continues with John’s full recovery.

Voices Of Women, Volume 2, Rhea Kunz, pgs. 390 – 395.

This post is part of a series of posts on Women in the Priesthood.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment