Tuesday 23 December 2014

Dedicating The Prison Cell

Among the attacks on the people of Short Creek there was a time when women were imprisoned as well as the men.  During one of these times Rhea Kunz was imprisoned with several of her sisters.  She was a great boost to the moral of the ladies though, and soon she and another sister were moved into a different cell.  Her account is quite thorough and I would love to post it all, but as this series on women in the priesthood I should probably keep my posts a little shorter, accordingly I will try to focus on just the pertinent events of the story. 

“So passed possibly another hour, when the matron came in to announce that she was taking Marie and me into the other jail room, where there was room for us.  We gathered up our belongings and followed her.  This poor vindictive woman could not wait until the door was closed to inform me that her prediction was fulfilled.  She was now installing me in “       ’s room.”  She did not have her next obvious wish, for I was neither argumentative nor resentful.  Surely the Spirit prompted me to cherish patience as one of the rarest gems that a saint can possess. 

… 

Upon examining the bathroom I found that it was in no better condition than the one we had left.  Alone in that room, I closed and locked the door and then while Marie was busy at other things in the main room, I rebuked evil powers in the name of Jesus Christ.  While still there, I dedicated the prison room and the bathroom for Marie’s and my sojourn and then rededicated myself to the Lord and His service; for I remembered Lorin C. Wooley’s advice in such particulars.  In this situation where we were deprived of the presence and leadership of any of the brethren, I acted with full assurance that God would hear and validate my petition.” 
Footnote 1
If more clarification is needed, we cite the words of the Prophet Joseph Smith:
“I met the members of the Female Relief Society, and after presiding at the admission of many new members, gave a lecture on the priesthood, showing how the sisters would come in possession of the privileges, blessings, and gifts of the priesthood, and that the signs should follow them, such as healing the sick, casting out devils, etc., and that they might attain unto these blessings by a virtuous life, and conversation, and diligence in keeping all the commandments.” 
~ Documentary History of the Church 4:602 

Voices Of Women, Volume 2, Rhea Kunz, pgs. 412 - 413. 

This post is part of a series of posts on Women in the Priesthood.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment