Tuesday 2 December 2014

And The Blind Shall See

Here is and excerpt of a strong faith promoting story of the time when Rhea Kuntz lost her sight, then was healed after administration from her grandmother and step-mother. 

“With my impaired vision, it became necessary for Grandmother to spoon-feed me.  As time seemed to drag slowly on, there were the long days and dark night of endless pain.  Day and night, Grandmother kept warm green tea packs over my eyes.  One morning while Grandmother was making the periodic change, I became much concerned when I discovered that to me Grandmother was nothing but a shadow.  Through the day, my condition worsened.  I had an agonizing night, moaning with pain.  Grandmother kept a fire and frequently changed my packs – and prayed in her quiet way while others of the family slept in the same room.  When morning came, the family began to stir.  Grandmother fixed the fire and spoke to me as she removed the pack.  I opened my eyes – but could see nothing!  Everything was black! – the blackest black one could ever imagine!  I cried out and screamed with sudden and awful fear – the fear of never being able to see again, “Oh!  Grandma, I can’t see!  I can’t see – anything!” 

Suddenly her hands held me sternly by the shoulders, and at the same moment, she commanded, “Rhea, be quiet!” – and I was quiet, although I trembled with the awful and heretofore unknown fear of blindness. 

She was on the floor beside me still holding me, and mother Evelyn (Auntie) was there too.  They conferred a moment.  Few words were spoken.  They must have communicated partly by signs. 

Grandmother then inquired, “Rhea, don’t you believe there is a God who made you?”  

“Why, of course, Grandma,” I answered, trying to endure the pain in my eyes and head. 

“Then if He made you, don’t you think He made your eyes?” 

Although my eyes were sightless, my mind was never more clear, for the Spirit of the Lord was with these two faithful women, who knew only too well that sympathy was not in order when faith was in the balance. 

“Yes, Ma’am, He made my eyes.”  It was all very reasonable.  I am sure that the Spirit of the Lord touched my mind and gave this deep and peaceful understanding. 

“Then don’t you think He can heal your eyes if He made them?” 

“Yes, Ma’am, I know He could!” 

“Then how do you think you can use faith if you cry like that?”  

Although silent with shame, I knew she was right. As never before, I needed the firmness of Grandmother and Mother Evelyn, two great souls who had known adversity, who had grappled with the destroyer many times before – and had won. 

“Then would you like us to pray for you?” 

“Oh, yes ma’am!” 

The children who had gathered around knelt nearby.  I could hear their quiet preparations.  While of necessity my kind and loving father and big brothers were away with their farm and mercantile work, those two faithful mothers knelt beside me.  I only remember they used the consecrated oil and put their hands on my head while they prayed for me.  Grandmother, in that prayer, promised me that I would again receive my sight. …

Grandmother continued to care for me as before, assuring me that the Lord knew what He was doing and would heal me in His own way and time.  Her very presence gave me assurance and taught me to begin “to wait upon the Lord.”  The day wore on.  She spoon-fed me as before.  Somehow she knew how to prepare my food just right.  It was never too hot or too cold, and it was always good, so good.  The children were called to my bedside as usual for evening prayer, and bedtime preparations proceeded as usual. 

That night passed with less pain and headache than the awful night before.  Grandma kept the packs warm by frequent changes.  Again in the morning, I heard Mother Evelyn and Grandmother resuming their activities.  Soon Grandma came and spoke to me as she removed the packs.  I opened my eyes – and there, wonder of wonders!  I could see a little shining thread, a broken silver thread of light!  It seemed supported diagonally in the air.  That was all I saw amidst the blackness.  Although I could not yet see Grandmother, I had seen a never-to-be-forgotten thread of light – blessed light!  “Oh, Grandma, I can see!  I can see!”   

Voices Of Women, Rhea Kunz, pg. 407-409

Of course Rhea continues to heal very quickly until her sight is restored in full.  I don't want to give away the entire story for the sake of those who would like to read it themselves :)    

In this story we learn that the women not only used consecrated oil, but put their hands upon the child’s head and made promises to her that the Lord honoured. 

This post is part of a series of posts on Women in the Priesthood.


No comments:

Post a Comment