Tuesday 14 January 2014

Spiritual Topics


As many of my readers know, and those who have heard me talk in public, I often speak of spiritual experiences.  That is, I often speak of spiritual experiences until I am asked not to.  Sometimes the request is made from the pulpit, sometimes it is just from argumentative behaviour.  In any case, I feel it is a sad state of affairs when a congregation does not like to hear someone speak about the spiritual aspects of our faith.  

God is real.  He loves His children just as much today as He did in the past.  He is the same God today as He was at the time of Abraham.  He will talk to us too.  All we have to do is the same things that Abraham and the other prophets did, that being to qualify ourselves.  Cleanse our hearts, our minds, our communications, and our behaviour, and God will open the way for our progression. 

4 comments:

  1. If a woman were to bear her testimony in sacrament meeting and share a story about how God helped her find her lost car keys in answer to a prayer, her story would be accepted and applauded. (Not saying such stories shouldn't be shared. It's beautiful that our God is involved in even the smallest details of our lives.)
    However, if she were to bear testimony of the reality and ministry of angels by sharing an experience of actually meeting one and speaking to one face-to-face, people would get uncomfortable, to say the very least. She'd probably be asked to leave the pulpit. Most of the congregation, I'd imagine, would think "Wow, this lady is crazy" (even though according to Moroni 7:30, angels only appear to those of "a firm mind"). She'd probably get a slap on the wrist from her bishop for sharing an experience that was "too sacred."
    Why is it that when other people share spiritual experiences about visions, dreams, and visitations, we get uncomfortable? Why is it socially unacceptable to testify of marvelous things? Are people afraid that by doing so, they would equate themselves to a "prophet" or one with authority? I believe that if God were to reveal anything so extraordinary, it would be to those who would not use that experience to claim authority over others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, I have often asked those questions myself, and I certainly agree with you. I have often found that some people do get very jealous and even aggressive when someone they deem beneath themselves receives a spiritual experience. It is a sad situation.
    Thank-you so much for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra, I have often asked those questions myself, and I certainly agree with you. I have often found that some people do get very jealous and even aggressive when someone they deem beneath themselves receives a spiritual experience. It is a sad situation.
    Thank-you so much for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally understand the last sentence-

    "Cleanse our hearts, our minds, our communications, and our behaviour, and God will open the way for our progression."

    It is Luke 10:27

    27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

    ReplyDelete