Wednesday 7 January 2015

Looking Beyond The Mark

It is amazing how many times in the scriptures that we are instructed to search out the mysteries of God.  (If anyone has taken the time to count, feel free to post it in the comments.)  I believe that it is imperative that we search out the mysteries of Godliness and that we approach God in person and receive divine instruction on those mysteries.  But are we asking about the mysteries of godliness or are we asking about details like what colour the paper that the record of life is printed on?  Are the questions pertinent to our efforts of entering back into the presence of God, or are we just interested in gathering facts and figures?  After all, when we learn something new from God, we are then under obligation to live up to that information. 

I am often asked very strange questions (At least questions that I consider strange), though everyone should ask questions about whatever topic interests them.  Some questions that I am asked are things like: what kind of commerce do they have in varying degrees of heaven; how do we use more of our brains, since we only use about 10%; what do people eat in heaven; how did the Gods first start????  All very valid questions, but to me, not all that important at this time.  In my view, those things are all second to our primary objective.  Sure they are important, but not really important until we have gotten our hearts in order and have repented of our sins and are progressing along the path of Christ. 

I think Christ said it best when he said that some people strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel (I am aware this saying applies to arguments over doctrine).  It is good to seek for knowledge, but it is also good to put first things first.  The question could be posed: Will this get me closer to my Saviour?  Will this information help me overcome the world and allow me to return to my Heavenly Father? 

By no means am I saying not to ask.  If it interests you then you should ask.  My only advice is to put first things first, and then all the other things will come. 

Just a few thoughts.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment