Saturday 10 January 2015

Adam Fell ??

Adam fell that man might be; men are that they might have joy. 
I read a comment about this statement that introduced the idea of a conundrum in the fact that disobedience had to take place in order for us to be here, but that obedience was needed for us to go back to God, which may forward the idea that disobedience is an acceptable evil and a good thing.  I have even heard insinuations that people should go and do evil, just so that they can experience the bad and therefore appreciate the good.  This, to me, seems ridiculously stupid, only a blatant justification to satiate their appetites for evil.  Those who behave this way will find an eternal loss at the end of the road. 

“Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if  we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God.” 
~ Joseph Smith Jr. 

Adam did not fall in the sense that he committed any crime.  As I have said before, the scriptures were written for wicked people, who can’t think or understand beyond punishment and reward.  In reality, Adam made a clear, informed decision to leave his exalted state to enter mortality again for us. 

In the Garden of Eden, before entering this estate, Adam waited on Eve to decide when she was ready to enter this estate.  Eve chose the time, and entered first, then Adam also entered.  They did not sin, nor were they disobedient; they chose to become mortal so that their children may ascend. 

Adam laid down his exaltation that man might be; men are that they might be exalted. 

.

4 comments:

  1. Chewing on this one. Thank you. I've been pondering on the term "transgression" my current understanding is "to fall to a lower estate because of sin."

    My current understanding of the fall-it is about timing. They partook of the tree out of season. I am still learning and growing. Thanks again for this post. Your sister in Christ-Sally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally,
      Adam certainly did move to a lower estate, but there was no sin involved, in that he and Eve knew the programme. They were informed by God how to become mortal, and were given the agency to decide if and when they would make that journey.

      I was raised Catholic, and I was always taught that Adam and Eve sinned, and I believed it so strongly that during my life I had often taught and said terrible things about Eve. But when I met Heavenly Mother I was ever so lovingly corrected on my incorrect beliefs. I was shown the Garden of Eden and I got to watch events unfold there. I had been so wrong! I had said so many terrible things about our first parents, and now I'm afraid that if I don't put in at least as much effort into spreading the truth about Mother Eve, as I did into maligning her, then I won't be found worthy at the last day.

      I am intrigued by your thoughts on transgression, to fall to a lower estate because of sin. And I will ponder that. I totally agree with your conclusion that, "it is all about timing." How often it is all about timing! Thank-you so much for your comments; I truly appreciate them.
      Love, your brother in Christ,
      Joseph

      Delete
  2. I think int his sense, transgression might not have been the best word. I know thats what the scriptures say, and its probably the closest word that fits, but English, and most other languages of men for that matter lack the ability to communicate certain ideas. In my view, Adam fell not in that he committed sin, but rather fell in that the mortal state of existence, is a lesser state that what he was already in. Now maybe my understanding is not completely accurate, but I was always taught that Adam and Eve chose at great risk to condescend to a lesser state of existence to bring forth righteousness. In this sense he fell, because mortality as we know it, in a downgrade from the immortality he already had. I do not believe that transgression is the right word, at least not in the common understanding of that word. I do not think that sin has any part when used int he context of Adam and Eve.

    ReplyDelete