Saturday 22 November 2014

Marvelous Healing

"... when we got to the City, Adaline's eyes were very bad.  I tried one or two Doctors again but to no effect.  Of course I had called in the Elders, but did not seeme to do much, so one day I met Elder Pratt, and asked him what more I could do.  He thought for a moment, and then said for me to give him her name in full and he would take it to the Prayer Circle where the Twelve Apostles and Presidency met, and for me to take her to Uncle John Smith the Patriarch, Joseph's uncle, and have him Administer to her, as he lived on the same Block.  I took her and told him what I wanted.  He told his wife to annoint her eyes, which she did, and then he laid his hands on her head, and Prayed for, and Blessed her, and when we started home, I was leading her by the hand, and she looked up in my face, and said,  "Father my eyes are nearly well.  And I now Bear my testamony that her eyes were well in a few days, and we did not have to keep her in a dark room any more.  Soon after this on her Birthday Dec. 20th, 1852, I cut a hole in the ice in City Creek, when it was 8 or 10 inches thick, and baptized her."

Voices Of Women, Rhea Kunz, pg. 17
(Journal of William Moore Allred, pp.15-16)

It is interesting to note that the Patriarch's wife was an active participant in the priesthood ordinance.  This of course is no surprise to those who understand the Patriarchal Priesthood that is conferred at the Second Annointing.  

This post is part of a series of posts on Women in the Priesthood.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment